[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 81, Issue 23

pearse stokes pearsestokes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:15:06 PDT 2011

Thanks for the replies. I'm completely aware that the 'data' is one sided.
However, the fact that Google are doing something wrong doesn't excuse Apple
doing something wrong.

Similarly, I'm aware that questioning the ethics or legality of Apple's
actions is inflammatory. However, what I'm trying to open up is the question
about data like this being stored when the data relates to legal minors. The
'being sent back to Apple' component of this is not really a valuable
component of the data as Apple would argue that the phones do indeed come
under their remit and are therefore all little repositories for Apple ...
who can collect the data when they see fit.

Essentially, what I would like to do, is leaver the fact that younger people
use these devices, be they Apple's iPhones, or Android, or software like
Chrome, that essentially track, or monitor young people to put a different
spin on this topic. As has been pointed out, there's endless reading on this
topic. I just wanted to see what people thought about the ethics of
monitoring young people. Again, Apple may not have received the information
or cared about it, but the device is still doing it. So, is it okay? For
those of us in academia, would we monitor respondents without consent? Would
we monitor legal minors without consent?

Pearse Stokes