[Air-L] persons with disabilities and digital politics research

FILIPPO TREVISAN f.trevisan.1 at research.gla.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 06:09:35 PDT 2011

Dear AoIR-ers,

just wondering if anyone may be able to help with the identification of case studies for my research.

in my PhD, I am investigating ways in which disability organizations, disabled activists, and persons with disabilities more generally use the internet to participate in politics, with a view to determine whether this can in any way lead to empowerment.

this project will include a section comparing British and American groups/campaigners. I will soon be traveling to the US to carry out fieldwork and I have already identified a series of "formal" disability organizations that I will be looking at. however, I would also appreciate if any of you were able to suggest other American disabled groups/individuals that are using the internet for lobbying/campaigning/organizing that I may not yet be aware of and you think should not be overlooked. I would be particularly interested in hearing about independent campaigners/networks that may not be immediately visible through keyword searches on Google.

so far, I have privileged federal/national organizations but would also be happy to look at significant state-specific ones. any suggestions welcome - please do get in touch directly at f.trevisan.1 at research.gla.ac.uk or through the list.

wishing you all a great weekend,

Filippo

-------------
Filippo Trevisan
Doctoral Candidate: Digital Politics & Disability
School of Social and Political Sciences
University of Glasgow
25 Bute Gardens
Glasgow - UK