[Air-L] RA position in Cambridge, MA

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Wed Apr 20 15:15:27 PDT 2011

I know most folks on this list are PhD students and faculty, but if you know of younger scholars or phenomenal about-to-graduate undergrads who are looking for a paid research assistant position for the upcoming year, I'm looking to hire a RA at MSR in Cambridge, MA.  (Please understand that this is an on site position; it's not possible for this to be a remote position.)  Feel free to forward this to anyone who you think might fit.

danah

Microsoft Research (MSR) is looking for a Research Assistant for its Social Media Collective in the New England lab, based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Social Media Collective consists of danah boyd, Mike Ananny, and Alice Marwick, as well as faculty visitors and PhD interns.  MSR is an academic institution and the Social Media Collective consists of scholars doing work in the areas of sociology, anthropology, media studies, and communications.

An appropriate candidate will be both passionate and knowledgeable about social media, have strong writing and organization skills, and have experience working on research projects.  Job responsibilities will include producing literature reviews, coding ethnographic data, editing manuscripts, and organizing events.  The RA will also get to collaborate on ongoing research and, while a publication is not a guarantee, the RA will be encouraged to co-author scholarly articles while at MSR. The RAship will require 20-25 hours per week on site in Cambridge, MA.  It is a 1-year only contractor position, paid hourly with flexible daytime hours.  The ideal start date would be in May or June, but is flexible.  This position does not include benefits or relocation. The candidate must already have a visa to work in the United States.

This position is ideal for young scholars who are applying to PhD programs in sociology, anthropology, communications, media studies, information studies, and related fields and want to get involved with research.  Current New England-based MA/PhD students are welcome to apply provided that they can commit to 25 hours of on-site work per week.

To apply, please send an email to dmb at microsoft.com with the subject "RA Application" and include the following:
- 1-page personal statement, including a description of research experience, interests, and professional goals
- CV or resume
- Writing sample (preferably a literature review or a scholarly-styled article)
- Links to online presence (e.g., blog, homepage, Twitter, journalistic endeavors, etc.)
- The names and emails of two recommenders (faculty recommendations are preferred)

We will begin reviewing applications on May 1 and continue doing so until we find an appropriate candidate.