[Air-L] ASIST SIG/CR Call for Panel Proposals for ASIS&T Annual Meeting 2011

Megan Winget megan at ischool.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 29 07:28:40 PDT 2011

(please excuse cross-posting)

Hello All:

The Classification Research Special Interest Group (SIG/CR) focuses on
theoretical and practical issues surround the classification and
representation of information for the purposes of organization,
collection building, access, and preservation.

We are inviting proposals for panels and contributions to panels for
submission to the 74th Annual Meeting of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T). The theme of this year's
conference is "Bridgng the Gulf: Communication and Information in
Society, Technology and Work," and will be held October 9-13, 2011 in
New Orleans. We are interested in panels that address representation
and classification issues related to any kind of material: text or non-
text, multimedia, games, scientific information, data, metadata,
specific implementations of metadata schemas, visualizations,
authority, trust, collection building...we also welcome
philosophically inclined panels as well as those that are more
practical in nature.

Proposals should be formatted in accordance with the call for papers
(which can be found at: http://www.asis.org/asist2011/am11cfp.html )
but sent to me (Megan Winget - megan at ischool.utexas.edu) as attachments.

The deadline for panels to ASIST is May 31.

1) If you send me a fully formed panel proposal, I will submit to
ASIST with support by SIG/CR. Please have these proposals to me by May
27.
2) If you send me a proposal for an individual panel contribution (but
don't actually have a panel formed), I will attempt to facilitate
collaboration between people with similar ideas to generate panel
proposals. In order to do this and have enough time to then generate
fully formed panel proposals, please have these individual paper
proposals to me by May 16.

To reiterate the deadlines:

-If you have a panel idea, you've gotten your speakers lined up, and
it's a done deal: May 27
-If you have an idea for a paper, but you don't have any other
speakers in mind: May 16.

We must have all panel proposals to ASIS&T by May 31.

The ASIS&T call for panel proposals reads:

Proposals for panels are invited on topics that include emerging
cutting-edge research and design, analyses of hot or emerging trends,
opinions on controversial issues, analyses of tools and techniques,
and contrasting viewpoints from experts in complementary professional
areas. Panels are not a substitute for a set of contributed papers,
but must have a cohesive theme and promote lively interaction between
panellists and audience members. Submit two to four pages that provide
an overview of the issues to be discussed by the panel. Proposals
should also list panellists who have agreed to participate and
indicate the qualifications and contribution that each panellist will
offer. Proposals for Pecha Kucha style presentations, are encouraged.

If you have any questions whatsoever, please do not hesitate to
contact me (megan at ischool.utexas.edu) or Joe Tennis (jtennis at uw.edu)
and we will be happy to help.

I'm looking forward to reading some interesting proposals!

Megan Winget
Chair, SIG/CR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Megan A. Winget, Ph.D.