[Air-L] Social Media and the UK Riots: ?Twitter Mobs?, ?Facebook Mobs?, ?Blackberry Mobs? and the Structural Violence of Neoliberalism (Christopher J. Richter)

Amy Sample Ward amyrsward at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 06:13:20 PDT 2011

Matthew, Christian (and all)-

I am completely aligned with you around the misplaced attention on social
technologies as the "cause" or even core facilitator to the violence across
the UK. As conversations around the policing of technology build momentum in
light of the UK, I couldn't help be frustrated by news here in NYC
yesterday:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/10/2011-08-10_nypd_forms_new_social_media_unit_to_mine_facebook_and_<http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/10/2011-08-10_nypd_forms_new_social_media_unit_to_mine_facebook_and_twitter_for_mayhem.html>
twitter_for_mayhem.html<http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/10/2011-08-10_nypd_forms_new_social_media_unit_to_mine_facebook_and_twitter_for_mayhem.html>

I'm conflicted: In principle, I agree that preventive methods (whether it's
health or education or crime, etc.) are worth investing in. On the other
hand, is a police unit focused on "patrolling" the internet for indications
of criminal activity really "worth" it? I'd like to see the projected ROI of
that unit in a city like New York that could always use more feet on the
street.

Perhaps a morning ramble, but it's where my mind has gone on the subject.

Cheers,
Amy