[Air-L] Social Media and the UK Riots: ?Twitter Mobs?, ?Facebook Mobs?, ?Blackberry Mobs? and the Structural Violence of Neoliberalism (Christopher J. Richter)

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 11 06:12:56 PDT 2011

Hi Mattie, all

I agree that too much should not be read into the actions of "defective and disqualified consumers" (Bauman, see http://www.social-europe.eu/2011/08/the-london-riots-on-consumerism-coming-home-to-roost/) but for the sake of objective precision I wish to point out that:
- "social media" is not "open source"
- there is, in fact, an "archaic caste system" in the UK (whether it needs to be toppled or not depends on how one feels about it, I suppose)
Not starting a flamefest, peace!
cheers
Mathieu