[Air-L] University of Michigan Faculty Openings

Holly Kruse holly.kruse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:14:45 PDT 2011

Forwarded on request. Please do not send responses to me.  Thanks.

Holly

Subject: University of Michigan - Department of Communication Studies
From:    "Brown, Jessica" <jessjb at umich.edu>
Date:    Thu, August 11, 2011 4:12 pm
To:      "'air-l-owner at listserv.aoir.org'" <air-l-owner at listserv.aoir.org>

To Whom It May Concern,

Would you be so kind as to forward our attached regular faculty advertisement to the Association of Internet
Researchers Listserv? I would be grateful for any assistance you can provide.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further information.

----

The University of Michigan
Department of Communication Studies
Faculty Openings Beginning Fall 2012
Assistant Professor of Communication Studies

The University of Michigan, Department of Communication Studies seeks applicants for
tenure track positions. Expanding department emphasizes interdisciplinary study of the
mass media. We seek top scholars to complement current faculty interests and strengths.
We anticipate filling two positions. Anticipated starting date for all positions is
September 1, 2012. All areas will be considered, with a special interest in the following
areas:

Global Media, Modernity and Modernization. Areas of particular interest include but
are not limited to the relationships between media and economic development;
comparative media systems; sociological and/or ethnographic analyses of international
and/or global media institutions; comparative analyses of journalistic practices, news
organizations and newsworthiness; the impact of traditional and emerging media on
democratic institutions and/or protest movements outside of the United States; the impact
of emerging media on deliberative processes outside the United States.

Media and the Environment. Department of Communication Studies and Program in
the Environment (PitE) seek applicants for a tenure track/tenured position. Our units
emphasize interdisciplinary study of the mass media and the environment, respectively.
Areas of particular interest are how the news media cover environmental issues,
including climate change, energy use, sustainability; analyses of public service,
corporate, or other persuasive campaigns about the environment, energy, sustainability
and climate change; media effects on public knowledge about the environment, energy,
sustainability and climate change; the role of new media in promulgating information
about and affecting knowledge of the environment, energy, sustainability and climate
change.

Completed Ph.D. by September 2012 expected. All applicants must upload a cover letter,
vita, evidence of teaching excellence, a writing sample, a statement of teaching
philosophy and experience, a statement of current and future research plans, and three
letters of recommendation. All application materials must be submitted electronically
to http://sitemaker.umich.edu/onlinefacultyapplicationsystem. For full consideration,
complete applications must be submitted by September 23rd.

The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women
and minorities are encouraged to apply. The University is supportive of the needs of dual
career couples.