[Air-L] Missouri Outlaws Student-Teacher Facebook Friendship

Lovaas,Steven Steven.Lovaas at ColoState.EDU
Mon Aug 15 06:35:43 PDT 2011

Having once worked for a school district's IT shop, I imagine it will be like the enforcement of web content blocking. Nobody actually keeps track of whether inappropriate content is being blocked (no audits, no reports submitted to government), until/unless there's a complaint from a parent. Under the law in question, I wouldn't anticipate that anyone would monitor friend lists (because who has that kind of time). The law will merely be used after the fact as grounds for punishment of teachers caught in inappropriate relationships.

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University

-----Original Message-----
From: air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org [mailto:air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org] On Behalf Of Tatyana Lockot
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 7:29 AM
To: Seda Guerses
Cc: air-l at aoir.org
Subject: Re: [Air-L] Missouri Outlaws Student-Teacher Facebook Friendship

What I'm also wondering is how this will influence the teaching process. If,
say, I teach some sort of new media/online journalism class, how can I
connect with students without using the tools that I teach to them in class?
How can I share useful links? I realize this is more on a college/university
level, but still.

It is also interesting, and I'm with Seda here, how they will enforce the
law? Check everyone's friendslists? Seriously? How can the lawmakers control
such a huge number of online accounts? Or do they simply plan to make the
schools responsible for monitoring the friendships?

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Seda Guerses <sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be>wrote:

> i am wondering if the following article about a new new law in missouri is
> sign of a trend in the us or an exception?
> it also seems that in the law, the lawmakers in missouri have introduced
> types of communication that will be allowed and others that will not be,
> which is based on conceptions of what is public and private. in any case,
> its implications at first sight seem quite grave. it also raises questions
> about how the law will be enforced?
> s.
>
> Missouri Outlaws Student-Teacher Facebook Friendship
>
> A law signed into law last month in Missouri is making waves nationally,
> this week. A small part of the wide-ranging SB54, makes it illegal for
> teachers to be "friends" with students on any social networking site that
> allows private communication.
> That means teachers and students can't be friends on Facebook or can't
> follow each other on Twitter for example.
>

> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/08/03/138932276/missouri-outlaws-student-teacher-facebook-friendship?sc=fb&cc=fp

Tetyana Lokot

Doctoral student in MassComm
Head of New Media Sequence
Mohyla School of Journalism
National University "Kyiv-Mohyla Academy"
8/5, Volos`ka Str., building 4, office 404,
Kyiv, Ukraine, 04070
mob: +380506611020
http://www.j-school.kiev.ua