[Air-L] Recommendations on mobile (phone) tech books

Jordan Frith jhfrith at ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 15 09:31:08 PDT 2011

Sarah,
Here are a few ideas on some books that may be useful.

For a fun and lively history of the mobile phone:
Agar, J. (2005). Constant touch: A global history of the mobile phone.
Cambridge: Totem Publishers.

For a discussion on the development of the mobile phone market in the U.S.
from a business perspective:
Galambos, L., & Abrahamson, E. J. (2002). Anytime, anywhere:
Entrepreneurship and the creation of a wireless world. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.

For more of a social/critical take:
 Ito, M., Okabe, D., & Matsuda, M. (Eds.). (2005). Personal, portable,
pedestrian: Mobile phones in japanese life. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
Goggin, G. (2006). Cell phone culture: Mobile technology in everyday life.
London ; New York: Routledge.
Goggin, G. (2010). Global mobile media. New York, NY: Routledge.
Katz, J. E., & Aakhus, M. (Eds.). (2002). Perpetual contact: Mobile
communication, private talk, public performance. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.
Glotz, P., Bertschi, S., & Locke, C. (2005). Thumb culture : The meaning of
mobile phones for society. Bielefeld; Piscataway, NJ: Transcript;
Distributed in North America by Transaction Pub.

Hopefully some of those are useful!

Best,
Jordan