[Air-L] graduate student funding options

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Thu Aug 25 07:34:31 PDT 2011

In the world of sciences, there are lots of funding programs that exist beyond a graduate student's home institution.  The US's NSF, for example, has all sorts of programs that incoming students can apply for and have their entire graduate school paid for without placing any burden on their home institution.   (In lots of programs, this makes taking someone with an NSF grant an extra special appeal.)

I'm trying to get a sense of what programs exist out there in the social scientists / internet studies / digital humanities space.  I'm mainly looking for programs that help fund people to attend US institutions (whether they are US citizens or not).  I recognize that the norm is for the department itself to fund through faculty grants, TA-ships, and university dissertation fellowships, but I'm wondering if there are non-institution specific programs out there in the amorphous field we call internet studies.

(Feel free to send info to me offline; I will happily compile and share back with you.)

danah