[Air-L] Resources about mobile devices, small screens, and cognition

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 12:50:06 PDT 2011

All,

Does anyone have resources related to mobile phone use and cognitive
processes? I'm looking ahead to a small project analyzing responses to
a large Web-based survey from respondents who used mobile devices even
though the survey was not optimized for small screens. The
demographics may be interesting but I'm more interested in seeing if
there are differences in the responses that can't be explained by
demographics and other known/expected differences. I suspect there
will be differences because the small screens of mobile devices
increases the cognitive burden on the respondents e.g. smaller screen
means more scrolling and thus more for the respondent to remember (and
forget). I know of a few usability studies that address screen size,
memory, and cognitive load but is there anything else for which I
should be looking?  Are there any particular areas in which I should
focus my search for additional resources?

Kevin R. Guidry
PhD Candidate, Indiana University
Research Project Associate, National Survey of Student Engagement