[Air-L] Pre-conf wksp IXmaps invite

Paterson, Nancy (Academic) npaterson at faculty.ocad.ca
Thu Aug 11 12:49:08 PDT 2011

Hi,
May I inquire if you could post this special IR12.0 pre-conf workshop invite to the AOIR list?
Thankyou
Nancy Paterson, PhD
OCAD University

IXmaps pre-conf wksp Oct 10, 2011- special info & invite

Please consider attending the Pre-conference Workshop: IXmaps – Do you know where your packets go?  taking place on Monday, October 10, 2011 from 12 noon to 5 pm.

IXmaps [http://www.ixmaps.ca] presents a geographic visualization of paths or routes taken by URL requests over the internet – presenting information about internet data exchange points along the way demonstrating key features of internet routing and cloud computing that impact personal privacy.

IXmaps displays a map of North America (Google Earth) on which is rendered the data route and information about interconnection points.

Information revealed thus far includes the physical location, ownership, networks and ISPs, deep packet inspection and NSA surveillance as well as known links or alliances among the building owners, clients, and government or corporate entities.

We are taking this opportunity to launch a user friendly new version of our data gathering software TRgen which we hope you might use to see where your data traffic goes - through what facilities and at the same time assist our data gathering capabilities.

IXmaps debuted at ‘Securing the Cyber Commons: A Global Dialogue’, a cyber security forum, March 2011 at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto. IXmaps presented at ‘CSIEL: Cyber Surveillance in Everyday Life’, May 2011 at the University of Toronto Art Centre Gallery. IXmaps is a collaborative project between Nancy Paterson, PhD, Faculty of Art, OCADU and Andrew Clement, PhD, Coordinator of the Information Policy Research Program (IPRP) at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto.