[Air-L] graduate student funding options

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Aug 29 07:52:04 PDT 2011

Last week, I wrote to see if anyone knew of graduate student funding options for internet studies for US institutions that were not institution-specific.  I wanted to share back.  I don't know which of these fund non-US citizens.  If you know of other similar programs, please let me know.

There are very few fellowships that cover more than a year of graduate school and they are all very competitive.
- Jacob K. Javits ($30K, up to 4 years)
- Ford Foundation Diversity (ethnic minority applicants, $20K, 3 years)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (3 years, $30K. This is primarily for sci/tech, but they do fund some social scientists) : http://nsfgrfp.org/
- Soros Foundation (must have been naturalized in last 3 years, $20K, 3 years) http://www.pdsoros.org/forms/

Some one-time/dissertation fellowships that apply to SS/H people:
- Wenner-Gren (max is I think $13K)
- NSF science & technology studies (max $10K?)
- NSF cultural anthropology
- Charles Babbage Institute, Tomash Fellowship in the History of Information Technology ($14K)
- National Women's Studies Association ($1000)
- AAUW Educational Foundation, gives fellowships to women both US citizens and international students (20K grad students; 30K postdoc)
- Josephine De Kármán Fellowship Trust ($22,000)
- Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason ($12K, libertarian)
- ACLS Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship ($25K)
- Woodrow Wilson Charlotte Newcomb (Religious or ethical questions (interpreted broadly), $25K)
- Mellon Fellowships for Dissertation Research in Original Sources ($25K)
- SSRC International Dissertation Research Fellowship ($19K for diss research outside the US)
- Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellows ($25K)

Other related grant options:
- Fulbright: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/overview_program.html

(Note: I'm not looking for postdoc funding or post-PhD fellowships... Or for institution-specific RA/TAships.  I'm specifically looking for programs that fund graduate students who are getting their degrees.  And, yes, I know that most US schools fund internally.  And that all of the Australians and Europeans find American funding mechanisms peculiar.)

------

"taken out of context, i must seem so strange" -- ani
http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/
http://www.danah.org/
@zephoria