[Air-L] Effects from using digital devices/potential distractions in medicine/ yesterda's NYT

Prof.Murero murero.monica at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:17:39 PST 2011

Hi everybody,

Digital devices should not be used when there is the potential risk of
endangering people life- like the case of public bus drivers text
messaging and twittering while driving. The problem with the newspaper
articles ( http://goo.gl/0kQxz ) is that it has no empirical roots, no
references to the literature and  is  based on speculation - actually
a " gut feeling" of an anesthesiologist is reported!  By the way, ask
any surgeon who has at least 20 years of practice, that is well before
the diffusion of smart digital devices weather or not
anesthesiologists read newspapers in the operating room during the
operation? unfortunately the answer is yes.

Does distraction patterns change over time or does the means people
use to get distracted change?

  I  have been working in interdisciplinary  eHealth research groups
for more then ten years, and actually literature shows that digital
health devices, and medical apps accessed via smart phones are
lowering medical error rate  (one of the three main reasons of death
in health care practice) . Digital media help nurses avoid mistakes
when provide medication dosage to patients- Telemedicine via the
internet supports education & medical knowledge by helping third world
country access free online continuing medical education programs.
Internet allows for immediate verification of medical professional
information - drug dosage, etc.  that otherwise would require long
time retrieval, avoidance and inefficiencies.

  The hypothesis of potential distraction effects from using digital
devices - for what purpose? - in risky situations should be further
investigated (seriously), but must be contextualized. In fact, during
risky operating room activities like hearth surgery - in the
newspaper's example - the non-medical staff  experience different
levels of "risk" at different pick-times.   I would be concerned if
the primary doctor performing the operation would touch anything
besides the knife, including his head, during the operation! By the
way, doctors performing pioneering telesurgery on patients in another
"nation" use a million dollar device that additionally offers internet
access on a screen.

Monica Murero , Ph.D.
AoIR Honorific Lifetime Member

Director E-Life International Institute
Associate Professor in Politics of e-Government
and in Sociology of New Technology
University Federico II, Italy
AoIR Exec, 2003-2009; AoIR Treasurer, 2005-2009

LinkedIn: http://it.linkedin.com/pub/monica-murero-ph-d/16/52/606
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/monica_murero
@monica_murero
Facebook: murero monica