[Air-L] looking for a English course running next year in SL or in 3D Virtual World

AJ Kelton ajk407 at nyu.edu
Mon Dec 5 13:21:03 PST 2011

Wow - well, there is SO much stuff out there to tap into on teaching in
virtual worlds.

First off, you want to check out ARVEL, which is an AERA SIG.

There is also the EDUCAUSE Virtual Worlds Constituent Group (disclaimer: I
founded this CG for them about 5 years ago) - CG's are EDUCAUSE's version
of SIGs.

There is also the Virtual Worlds Education Roundtable, which meets every
week in Second Life and talks about issues that pertain to education
(declaimer again, I'm the founder and chief moderator of the group).  You
can find more info at http://www.vwer.org (I accidentally borked the site
design while trying to do a WP theme update the other day, so forgive the
format)  There are over three years worth of meeting transcripts in our
Library on a vast number of subjects.

If you're really brave, you can join the Second Life Educators List - its a
listserve put together by Linden Lab (creators of SL) for educators.  There
are over 6000 members, but it can be very noisy, so I'd subscribe with an
email account you don't use all the time (or go digest) -

You can also try the Journal of Virtual Worlds Research http://www.
jvwresearch.org/ and the Journal of Virtual Worlds and Education http://
www.jvwe.org/

If you don't find what you are looking for there, let me know, I can
probably point you to someone working in that area.

p.s. - I believe all of the above mentioned organizations have a presence
on Facebook.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Havice, Michael <
michael.havice at marquette.edu> wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> I'm responding to Airong Wang's request.
>
> I am investigating how to teach in virtual worlds.  While didactic
> approaches appear more easy to accomplish in virtual worlds; I am looking
> into how teachers might use active learning or problem based learning
> strategies to engage students.
>
> Airwong Wang: Contact me if you would like to share theories and
> methodologies you are investigating.
> michael.havice at marquette.edu
>
> Of course, I am interested in conversations with anyone researching how to
> teach/learn in virtual environments.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Dr. Michael Havice
> Broadcast & Electronic Communication
> Marquette University, USA

-----

AJ Kelton
Director of Emerging Instructional Technology
     College of Humanities and Social Sciences - Montclair State University
Doctoral Student
     Educational Communication and Technology - New York University
http://eld.montclair.edu
Twitter: @EmergLearnDsign
Hashtag: #eld12