[Air-L] Research on in-game romance options

Todd Harper laevantine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 10:53:37 PST 2011

Hello, internet researchers!

I'm currently doing some work related to a PCA submission on Bioware's
increasing inclusion of same-sex romance options in their games. What I'm
currently hard up for is literature on this subject area; I mostly have
Mia's piece from Video Game Theory Reader on the "romantic triangle" and
Kristen Jørgensen's article from Eludamos on Dragon Age and Mass Effect
(and these are even at odds; Mia talks about avatar connection with the
player, and Kristen's talking about separating the two!).

While I am loathe to make what seems like the default mailing list request,
if anyone has some suggestions for literature that might be relevant to
studying in-game romance options -- particularly the whys and hows of them
-- I'd love to hear about it. Thank you kindly.

Apologies for people who are about to see this cross-posted to the DiGRA
list, as well.

--
Todd Harper
Postdoctoral Researcher, Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab --
laevantine at gmail.com