[Air-L] ISOC Statement on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 1 14:26:11 PST 2011

Hey there Zeynep,  Interesting stuff, lots to discuss! One thing leapt out at me, I think you make a nice point about how:  "Social media lower barriers to collective action by providing channels of organization that are intermeshed with mundane social interaction and thus are harder to censor."  However this raises the question of whether these channels of organisation are not potentially diluted by the mundaneness of the social interaction in which they are intermeshed? I suppose this does not apply to (pre) insurrectional situations where people's daily lives are submerged in politics. However in non (pre) insurrectional situations - in Western liberal democracies for example this may be the case?  cheers, Mathieu  ----- Original Message ----- From: Zeynep Tufekci <socnetres at gmail.com> Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:52 pm Subject: Re: [Air-L] ISOC Statement on Egypt’s Internet shutdown To: M.V.T.vandenBoomen at uu.nl Cc: air-l at listserv.aoir.org  > Hello, >  > This is indeed a very exciting time for internet scholars! I have > written a series of blog posts about these topics: >  > * Here's the summary of my seven theses on dictator's dilemma, i.e. > whether Internet is inherently threatening to authoritarian regimes: > (details at http://technosociology.org/?p=286)