[Air-L] Technology related pictures and tweets from Tahrir Square in Cairo

Carmel L. Vaisman carmelv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 23:29:07 PST 2011

Good morning AoIRs,

As I am glued to the #jan25 twitter feed for a week now, I thought I'd share
with you some of the technology related photos and tweets that drew my
attention.

I wondered how Egyptian bloggers and tweeps keep updating from the square
without their phone battery dying. It seems they found a solution to charge
their phones on site, this picture was tweeted yesterday:
http://yfrog.com/h4qeebnj

Another tweep mentioned that many of the protest signs in Tahrir square
carry the logos of Facebook and Twitter as Egyptians are aware of the role
of these platforms in the protest. I haven't seen a picture of such a sign
and if anyone has it I'd love the reference, but this was tweeted yesterday:
http://www.mylinksmyads.com/link/ag1teXR3ZWV0c215YWRzcisLEgRMaW5rIiE3Mjk0MDI0MSNodHRwOi8veWZyb2cuY29tL2gzZzc2aGoM

Apparently it says "we thank you facebook youth of Egypt". I've heard this
reference to the new generation of Egyptian youth as "the facebook youth" on
a few occasions during this week.

To those of you interested in language, discourse and humor: twitter saw
around 5 fake accounts of Hosni Mubarak, some are really very funny and kept
the humor going even in the darkest hours of the clashes on Wednesday and
Thursday. See: @TheReal_Mubarak @GMubarak @HosniMobarak @NotHosniMubarak
@presidenthosni

Also, some of tweets that were retweeted during the first days of the
uprising were using the language of social media to express the events. The
ones I collected were:

@samihtoukan: The People just ousted Mubarak as the mayor of Egypt on
@foursquare #jan25 (via @Mayousef)

@tsweden: BREAKING: Hilary Clinton 'unfriends' Hosni Mubarak on Facebook.