[Air-L] Call for papers GikII VI

Mathias Klang klang at ituniv.se
Fri Feb 18 08:02:47 PST 2011

*GikII VI, **FREedom, openness & piracy?***

26-28 June 2011

IT University

Göteborg,Sweden

*Call for papers*

Is GikII a discussion of popular culture through the lens of law -- or
is it about technology law, spiced with popular culture? For five years
and counting, GikII has been a vessel for the leading edge of debate
about law, technology and culture, charting a course through the murky
waters of our societal uses and abuses of technology.

For 2011, this ship full of seriously playful lawyers will enter for the
first time the cold waters of the north (well, further north than
Scotland) and enter that land of paradoxes: Sweden. Seen by outsiders as
well-organised suicidal Bergman-watching conformists, but also the
country that brought you Freedom of Information, ABBA, the Swedish chef,
The Pirate Bay and (sort of...) Julian Assange. We offer fine weather,
the summer solstice and a fair reception at the friendly harbour of
Göteborg.

So come one, come all... Clean your screens, look into the harder discs
of your virtual and real lives, and present your peers with your ideas
on the meaning of our augmented lives. Confuse us with questions, dazzle
us with legal arguments, and impress us with your GikIIness. If you have
a paper on (for example) regulation of Technology & Futurama, soft law
in World of Warcraft, censoring social media & Confucius, the creative
role of piracy on latter day punk or plagiarism among the ancient
Egyptians -- We are the audience for you (for a taste of past
presentations see http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/gikii/).

*Application process*

Please send an abstract not exceeding 500 words to Professor Lilian
Edwards (Lilian.Edwards at strath.ac.uk) or Dr Mathias Klang
(klang at ituniv.se). The deadline for submissions is 15 April 2011. We
will try to have them approved and confirmed as soon as possible so that
you can organise the necessary travel and accommodation.

*Registration*

As with previous years, GikII is free of charge, and therefore there are
limited spaces available, so please make sure you submit your paper
early. Priority is always given to speakers, but there are some limited
spaces available for students and non-speakers. Registration will be
open shortly at http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/gikii/

--
Mathias Klang, LL.M., Ph.D.

Phone: +46 (0) 31 786 55 63 Mobile: +46 705 43 22 13 http://twitter.com/klang67