[Air-L] seek textbook recommendation on CMC

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 02:30:41 PST 2011

I forgot to mention one item i consider important.  In the new chapter I did
a morphological exercise to come up with the three dimensions I felt was
most important for guiding the design of different forms of CMC and I have
always found that very useful for pointing out to students why the nature of
the group and the nature of the application (a Delphi concept from the 1975
Delphi method book) influences the design of CMC systems.  These were:

1.  the degree of problem complexity from the classic IS literature on the
design of information systems.
2.  the nature of evidence (C.W. Churchman) with the addition of "negotiated
reality" form management science (marketing and behavior, non scientific
evidence).
3.  An  extension of Thomasa's? dimensions of organizational communication
types between units or "groups" in the organizations.

there are sample group problems used to illustrate the differences for the
first two and a sample of how voting is used very differently to do many
things/objectives beyond reaching a consensus.  Most students (and some
faculty) never seem to realize this until it is explained to them.