[Air-L] viral reality?

John Postill jpostill at usa.net
Tue Feb 1 03:52:03 PST 2011

On the subject of Egypt's and other country's protests, I'm currently doing
anthropological research into social media and activism in Barcelona. I'm
wondering whether we're entering an era in which political reality is framed
by re-sent SMS messages, retweets, YouTube videos, viral campaigns, and so on
– an age of 'viral reality'. Even those who rightly reject the hyperbole
surrounding these events would appear to be shaped in their perceptions by
rapidly moving, ephemeral digital contents that are widely 'shared' (i.e.
spread).

John

Dr John Postill
Senior Research Fellow