[Air-L] Academic replacements for TwapperKeeper.com?

Devin Gaffney itsme at devingaffney.com
Wed Feb 23 11:29:40 PST 2011

Hey All,

I run 140kit.com, and I can tell you right now that the Twitter TOS is somewhat ambiguous when it comes to handing data out like this when its done in a research setting - from my own (optimistic) reading, I think there is still space for a purely research based environment - they want to avoid having their business in data analysis usurped by other marketers, I think, so we don't really need to worry too much. I have pinged Twitter about Twapper Keeper folding the other day, and am waiting for a reply. At any rate, I'm certainly willing to go to the mat to keep some form of data collection around for researchers.

We are a much smaller operation than Twapper Keeper. We have only cataloged about 100 million tweets over about 70 million users, and as of yet, have not put any money in for upgrading our tiny server set. The seed money was put in by my college last year, and that dries up in May, at which point I will pay out of pocket until a better solution presents itself.

So, to answer Cornelius' points:

- We do hashtag/search processes
- We export data in csv and sql, as from my own experience sql is much easier to deal with when repurposing data like this
- We have a whole range of analytical processes built on top of the system as well, with a way for other programmers to plugin new analytics, which is great
- We are certainly not stable financially or uptime-wise. We are reliable when the word is in our system - the collection servers are run at Berkman and rarely falter.
- Long-term, I would like to work on this more, but we need to figure out how to build an environment where this is acceptable conduct for Twitter and someone can afford to work on it full-time. I would love to do that, but I don't know how, short of getting back in an academic setting and getting free reign, which just isn't hugely likely.

Feel free to ask me any questions about this service or about the current situation - I'm hitting up Twitter folk all day to get answers and advice.
Devin