[Air-L] Facebook Page Engagement Metrics

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Sat Feb 26 04:10:24 PST 2011

What should they be? Is anyone comparing the generative nature of fb
pages with other online discussion/exchange formats?

Yesterday I gave a webinar presentation to dozens of school
communicators http://e-democracy.org/schools and it was notable that
all of the questions were about fb pages.

>From my experience with community issues forums
http://e-democracy.org/if a fb page member is worth about 1/10th the
value of a full member of our hybrid elist/forum site.

However, I could be quite wrong. I've noted the decent engagement on
this popular community stillwater, mn 11,000 member fb page
http://www.facebook.com/WeLoveStillwater - but my 675 member
neighborhood issues forum (reaching 15% of households)
Http://e-democracy.org/se seems to generate far more traffic ( views?
Unknown).

So as almost all the institutional momentum for hosting any form of
public engagement online shifts to Facebook (versus setting up a blog,
forums, promoting broader community-wide interactive spaces, etc.)
what does this really require to work well? Numbers, facilitation,
content seeding frequency/style, etc. What are the best examples of
community, school, local gov, fb pages that demonstrate effective
practices?

I'd really like to see a list of pages with the highest participation
to members ratio and explore why they work. Perhaps someone out there
has done that?

I should note that we feed our issues forums into dedicated fb pages
that we set up to make our content available in that format ... But
they  are more or less one-way.

Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org

P.S. Please cc: clift at e-democracy.org