[Air-L] Academic replacements for TwapperKeeper.com?

Devin Gaffney itsme at devingaffney.com
Wed Feb 23 15:36:19 PST 2011

I wrote to Deen separately, but here's the deal on whitelists:

They decided about a week ago to wholesale turn down any requests for whitelisting IP's, academic or otherwise. Those who have them are those who have them. They did not specify any shift in policy for whitelisted accts, but AFAIK the whitelisting of an acct does not do much in the way of data collection via terms (Search) or via a username (REST). In other words, those days are over. They handed out a bunch of whitelistings back in the day, then stopped doing it entirely, then finally changed the policy instead of writing e-mails saying no every time.

"funding" here is $15/month. I went to a school with 500 students and no endowment, so it was a big deal, but not really in the scope of things. I will pay the $15 a month from there in to continue running the website - analytical machines are hosted at Berkman for free, so its not really a scary thing.

Either way, best of luck, its getting pretty hard to do data collection apparently. Also, I updated our TOS to reflect our stance on everyone running to the hills for exports - you can grab it from our front page: http://bit.ly/ddarvF

Devin