[Air-L] FW: Blogpost: Is Facebook a Human Right? Egypt and Tunisia transform social media.

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 05:42:49 PST 2011

This may be of interest.

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/is-facebook-a-human-right-egypt-and
-tunisia-transform-social-media/

If we see human rights as seamlessly encompassing activities and
associations in both physical and virtual environments perhaps then we must
begin to look at the virtual world as something other than a normless wild
west which to this time has been the broad perception . Rather cyberspace
should be seen as a "place" where the kinds of protections and regulatory
frameworks (including existing human rights legislation) would apply equally
as for off-line behaviours. It follows then that owners of platforms such as
Facebook, Twitter and YouTube should be seen not as owners of the space and
behaviours being manifest through their systems but rather as proprietors of
virtual venues where these behaviours are taking place.

Comments/critique sincerely welcomed...

Best,