[Air-L] Egypt: Assessing Facebook, Twitter, social networks

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 15 14:50:47 PST 2011

It's clear to all readers of Twitter and the MSM that Facebook and Twitter
played a role in the Egyptian movement that toppled Mubarak.

But how much of a role? More generally, how much were social networks
involved?

There's so much speculation, that I really don't want more.
BUT
I would appreciate systematic evidence -- be it ethnographic, online
analyses, or survey based -- even though it may be early for that to
appear. I am thinking of the work that Joe Feagin did on 1968's ghetto
riots; the ongoing work of Doug McAdam over the years.

I wonder if anyone interviewed the folks in Tahrir Square (besides the
secret police), just as Feagin interviewed folks in Detroit jails, and
would love to read some personal accounts.

In hope that things turn out well in Egypt!

  Barry Wellman