[Air-L] Before Iran, Tunisia and Egypt, the Soviet coup attempt

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Wed Feb 2 05:12:39 PST 2011

On 2/1/2011 10:43 AM, Semenov Alexander wrote:

> Everything you said is nice, but do you have any idea of how many users
> were there in USENET, who were them and whose interests did they serve?

Relcom was a company set up to distribute and service Unix.  They
initially used net news to support customers in 70 cities at the time of
the coup attempt.

The papers I link to in the blog post give answers to your questions --
the number of users and the sorts of things they used it for as well as
the ways it was used during the days of the coup attempt.

I also included a link to an archive that contains, among other things,
the complete traffic during the days of the coup attempt.

> Think about it before writing about wonderful effects of Internet on
> establishing "democracy".

Your sound upset -- what is your real issue here?

Larry