[Air-L] FW: Academic work on the website 4chan?

Gabriella Coleman biella at nyu.edu
Sun Feb 6 11:05:52 PST 2011

Hi,

So some other work to look out for:

Andres Monroy-Hernandez (and co-authors) are submitting a great article
on 4chan

http://www.mit.edu/~amonroy/

Mike Wesch has a forthcoming chapter that looks at the anti-celebrity
ethic among Anon. Also excellent.

http://ksuanth.weebly.com/wesch.html

Be on the look out for Luke Simcoe and Alex Leavitt
who have also done really great work on 4chan and Anonymous.

http://alexleavitt.com/
http://lukesimcoe.tumblr.com/

Kris Cohen has a great chapter on trolls in his dissertation
  http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mitchell/students.htm#Kris%20Cohen

There is an edited collection The Offensive Internet that takes a look
at anonymity, harassment, and offensive speech and has great pieces but
generally fails to distinguish between behavior and the cultural
tradition/norms at play.

I have a chapter tracing the politics of spectacle from phreaks to
trolls coming out soon in an edited volume on social media and it should
be posted on my website when it is (there is a small bit on 4chan).

A piece of mine on Anonymous will come out here in about a month:

http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/about

I might be missing some folks so I might be back later with more.

All best,
Gabriella

--
Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
NYU, Department of Media, Culture, & Communication