[Air-L] Citing from a Kindle

Cristina Lopez clopez at umn.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:50:55 PST 2011

But it seems that googling the phrase is a different kind of activity than
consulting the cited source. A search might help you find other authors who
have mobilized the idea, and very likely a Wikipedia entry. Or a search
might not yield useful results because as Gil points out, Barthes never used
that exact phrase anyway. (Is Google Search smart enough to know that what
you really seek is the "the impossible science of the unique being?") While
I often use Google for exactly that purpose, searching for information isn't
the same as going back to the source cited to develop better understanding
of the context, or to decide if the author has engaged in a good reading.

Moreover, while it's easy to imagine that citation practices will change to
make it easier than ever to find the information we need, I can see a
downside. Ebooks with hypertext citations would be a great convenience. But
while hypertext provides access to all kinds of information, the constant
pursuit of the next link is not conducive to thought. From Jodi Dean's Blog
Theory: "My wager is that critical media theory is possible in book form.
The wager is inspired by a time-honored tactic in workers' struggle: the
slow-down. As an object whose form installs delays in sampling and
syndication and whose content demands postponed gratification, the book
mobilizes the gap of mediacy so as to stimulate thought." (Dean 3).