[Air-L] I just invented another way of citing e-books

Joseph Reagle joseph.2008 at reagle.org
Tue Jan 4 10:25:18 PST 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011, Barry Wellman wrote:
> 1. I agree with Jeremy: direct quotes are easily searchable.

It always seemed to me that if someone wants to find something from an online source, this is redundant in that they can search for the phrase themselves -- I often do this and don't see why we should clutter bibliographies with this.

As others have said, what we need is for e-publishers to make fragment identifiers widely available. As you can see in my book -- all of which will go online in the future -- chapters, sections, and paragraphs all have ids.

http://reagle.org/joseph/2010/gfc/chapter-1
http://reagle.org/joseph/2010/gfc/chapter-1#s1
http://reagle.org/joseph/2010/gfc/chapter-1#p1