[Air-L] Deaf/HOH Community in VWs

Jeska Dzwigalski jeska.dzwigalski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 11:33:02 PST 2011

Katie,

Hiya. I spent 6 years working with nonprofit and other communities within
Second Life and met a few different people along the way who worked on
things related to these topics. Some of them may even be on this list...

A few people who come to mind who either know about this or who might know
of resources/contacts you may want to reach out to:

   - Susan Tenby <http://susantenby.com/> (aka Glitteractica Cookie in SL) -
   works with Tech Soup to organize nonprofits, more info here:
   http://www.techsoup.org/community/secondlife/index.cfm - she might know
   of nonprofits in the deaf communities inworld.
   - <http://www.techsoup.org/community/secondlife/index.cfm>Joe Essid (aka
   Ignatius Onomatopoeia in SL) - professor who had his writing students work
   on "Second Life and Race"
   http://slbeat.mytimesdispatch.com/index.php/slbeat/skin08/, might have
   info on "passing" and discrimination more broadly
   - Dr. Robert Vernon <http://home.comcast.net/~dbsocialwork/> (aka
   Gabrielli Rossinit in SL) - runs Cape Able, sim that supports the deaf and
   hard of hearing communities inworld. Contains private residences, art
   gallery, social services resources, etc. Part of the Virtual
Ability<http://virtualability.org/>project.
    SLurl <http://slurl.com/secondlife/Cape%20Able/135/176/> to Cape Able.

Good luck and let me know if I can do any intros. My avatar name in SL is
the same as my RL name: Jeska Dzwigalski, drop me a note!

Cheers,
Jeska