[Air-L] 2nd CFP: Transnational HCI - Workshop @ CHI 2011

Irina Shklovski irsh at itu.dk
Mon Jan 3 11:32:57 PST 2011

Happy New Year! Please forward to interested parties.

SECOND CALL! Deadline for submission: January 14, 2011.

CFP: TRANSNATIONAL HCI: Humans, Computers and Interactions in
Transnational Context
A workshop at CHI 2011
May 8, 2011, Vancouver BC, Canada

Recent studies in Human-Computer Interaction have turned to examining
computing in non-Western contexts, increasingly recognizing that
technologies and activities of their participants are not bounded by
single geographies, cultures, or borders. In our interactions with
everyday technologies, we are increasingly tied to people and machines
in other countries, cultures and networks. Such activities require us to
consider technologies not just in national, but also in a transnational
context. That is, humans, computers and interactions not limited to
single countries or cultures, but forming communities across spaces,
managing boundary-crossings, and forming hybrid practices.

This workshop will bring together researchers and designers across
academia and industry to address the effects, implications, and design
opportunities for individuals and communities who engage in
transnational technological practices. We seek participants to explore
the role of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in
transnational settings for our workshop, TRANSNATIONAL HCI, at CHI 2011.
We aim to assemble an interdisciplinary group of practitioners to expand
current work on ICTs in global processes, to develop a language and
toolset for the study of technologies in transnational spaces, and to
address the role of ICTs for local-global user interaction,
collaboration across boundaries and negotiations of power relations.

Examples of possible paper topics include, but are not limited to:

* The use of pervasive technologies such as multiplayer gaming across
borders
* Studies of social networking among Diaspora communities
* Use of ICTs in censorship state zones
* The role of ICTs in reconfiguring “the local”
* Technology in the context of international migration and politics
* Cross-cultural collaboration

Submissions that develop theoretical approaches, report on empirical
work or on technology design are welcome, and need not be limited to
"developing world" sites. Full papers may later be solicited for a
potential special issue. We welcome applications from researchers,
designers, practitioners and scholars across the subdomains of
human-computer interaction and beyond, in the fields of anthropology,
sociology, science and technology studies, critical theory,
communication, media studies and cultural geography.

Interested participants should submit a 2-4 page paper in CHI Archival
Format <http://chi2011.org/authors/format.html> by January 14, 2011 to
transnationaltimes at gmail.com describing your current project and its
contribution to the workshop topic. At least one author for each
accepted paper must register for the workshop and should attend at least
one full day of CHI <www.chi2011.org>. Additional information, including
the workshop description (Extended Abstract), is available on our
website at http://www.princeton.edu/~jvertesi/TransnationalHCI/

IMPORTANT DATES

* Submission deadline - Jan 14, 2011
* Notification of acceptance - Feb 11, 2011
* Workshop at CHI2011 - May 8, 2011

ORGANIZERS

Janet Vertesi, Princeton University, USA
Silvia Lindtner, University of California, Irvine, USA
Irina Shklovski, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark

If you have any questions please contact the organizers at
transnationaltimes at gmail.com.

We apologize for possible cross-posting.

Irina Shklovski
Assistant Professor
Design, Culture, Mobility&  Communication (DCMC)
IT University of Copenhagen
Rued Langgaards Vej, 7
2300, Copenhagen S. Denmark
http://www.itu.dk/people/irsh/