[Air-L] ISOC Statement on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 31 09:01:47 PST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:43 , joana ro wrote:

> I wonder why Western media have overemphaiszed SM's role. What good does
> that do them?

The cynical-of-US-media me says it's a marketing gimmick that, as Jo says, can create a sense of communal participation and involvement in the coverage --- but also allows the media to solicit tweets/posts they can run with quickly in order to out-scoop their competitors in breaking news to fill the 24 hour news cycle.  :(

> Or is this a subtle way of suggesting that the West and its emancipatory
> technologies are somehow responsible for what is happening?

Could be --- after all, "In Tech We Trust"   *headdesk*

-- rick
....trying not to be TOO cynical of the US 'news' media