[Air-L] Citing from a Kindle

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jan 4 07:32:17 PST 2011

how about a group that centers on bibliography and citation much more closely, like MLA or IFLA or somesuch?

as for page numbers, let me say this... if you submit a paper to a journal and it comes to me without them or some similarly recognized convention, I'm probably going to note that in the review and require it to be done, and I think any editor or reviewer would do the same.   As i said, i don't think you necessarily need them for direct quotes, and i think you don't necessarily need them in certain other common sense instances, but sometimes... for reference page numbers or other indexical values are necessary.   If a reviewer or editor can't find what you are talking about in a text, they should be... worried...  Currently then, the practice is to include them for due diligence.  Whether, that changes in our lifetime... i don't know, it could.  Should we reject it or change it, for my part, no.  I like page numbers immensely, they make my life much easier.

> I disagree with the idea, however, that we should maintain page
> numbers as a form of due diligence. There comes a time when we have to
> get past horseless-carriage thinking, and recognize that when certain
> communities are reading more off the page than on, it's time for a new
> standard.
>
> And I'll be bold enough to suggest that AIR, as a group, is a perfect
> place to come to consensus on that standard. Who better?
>
> Alex
>

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM, jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:
>> direct quotes are less of a worry than providing reference, I'd think.  One can search for a direct quote and usually find it.   However, if someone is referencing an idea, we really do need the exact page or location of the item in question.   My solution is simple, go to the library and find the page number.   That to me is just doing 'due diligence' as an author citing another's work.  I work primarily with e-books, usually in pdf format with page numbers, but when it is missing... I go to the library and look up the page number.   Sometimes i can also find it in google books or amazon books.   In short, that you have a gadget that transforms the text... that doesn't mean you should be using that gadget's lack of provision/affordance to not provide page numbers as justification for providing less useful/common information, as the reason for providing the citation is not for your use, but for the rest of the world who does not necessarily use the gadget that you have.
>>
>> For instance, I have transformed around 100 books into fragments and reconstructions for my own use, i keep them in slipbox.   They are still the 'books', but they are in a format that I use.   Should i be able to say... oh you should all use slipbox, it is slip 1754 in stack 5, downloadable here.   .... I'm guessing not.  Even if slipbox had a standard methodology and was used by 500k people, it isn't about those people, it is about the readers. So, please look up the page numbers if you can.
>>
>> granted, that in some scholarly topics there are unique citation traditions, such as in plato, aristotle, kant, etc. and one should stick with the tradition which is most commonly used centrally to the tradition, i'd guess.

>> http://www.aoir.org/
>>

> --
> --
> //
> // This email is
> // [x] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
> // [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
> //
> // Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
> // http://alex.halavais.net
> //

Jeremy Hunsinger
Political Science
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.tmttlt.com

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain