[Air-L] Philosophy/theory of the Wikipedia

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 14:01:58 PST 2011

2011/1/20 Yu-Hao Lee(李育豪) <minke33 at gmail.com>:

>  I would suggest Yochai Benkler's "The Wealth of Networks: How social
> production transforms markets and freedom".

That's always a good recommendation.

I also recommend Reagle's "Good Faith Collaboration: The Culture of
Wikipedia."  It's not deeply philosophical or theoretical but it does
capture the feeling of "screw the experts and the theories, we're just
going to do this" attitude that seems important to understand as part
of Wikipedia's culture.  (I can't find the exact quote but somewhere
in the book it mentions how Wikipedia is the kind of thing that could
never work in theory, only in practice.)

Kevin