[Air-L] Personalization of Google results (incl. little pilot study)

Stephen J Cavrak Jr Steve.Cavrak at uvm.edu
Sun Jan 23 06:49:56 PST 2011

Quoting Marianne van den Boomen <M.V.T.vandenBoomen at uu.nl>:

> I would like to contribute to your research, but when I try to use
> google.com it redirects automatically to google.nl - speaking of
> peronalisation ;-)

The localization can go down to the city level - when I visit friends,
Google News brings up local news sources, ads, etc.

More interesting is that sometimes it gets confused, and when I get
back home, the visited city pops up randomly in news stream. Not sure
if that's a bug or a feature ...

Steve

- I'm reading this today via the Hoard 3.1.9 web email package. It
also localizes the page with weather forecast, moon phases, and TA DA
... a small flag icon next to the sender's address - so the flag of
the Netherlands is displayed by Marianne's name ...