[Air-L] ISOC Statement on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

William Dutton william.dutton at oii.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 07:54:31 PST 2011

We have a paper on Public Diplomacy 2.0 that has some relevance to this discussion - it is based on a case study around President Obama's Cairo speech. See: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1734850  Also, we have a brief discussion of the role of social networking in the aftermath of the Iranian elections in a report for UNESCO at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1654464  Obviously, this report does not cover Egypt's recent actions, but surely it is critical that we develop a clear understanding of who did what and when.

William Dutton, Director
Professor of Internet Studies
Oxford Internet Institute
1 St Giles', Oxford OX1 3JS  UK