[Air-L] Inclusion of short links in academic publications?

yana breindl ybreindl at ulb.ac.be
Fri Jul 22 07:59:23 PDT 2011

Thank you all for your comments!

The reason I asked is not because of a word limit but because one of my
committee members suggested I'd use short links to ease access for readers
of the print dissertation. I do have quite a lot of electronic sources as
footnotes in some of the chapters and he mentioned he'd have typed a
shortened url but not a long one.

An alternative would be to include short urls in the footnotes and add an
appendix with corresponding long links. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle
though.

On 22 July 2011 16:39, Sharon Haleva Amir <sharon at trebcon.com> wrote:

> Yana, the only advantage I can think of regarding the usage of shortened
> URL
> is if you're writing an article and there is a words' limitation (as long
> as
> the limitation refers to the bibliography/footnotes as well as the article
> itself), as sometimes the URLs can be quite long.
>
> I think that the need to shorten texts (for twitting etc.) was the basic
> rational for establishing such services.
>

> Best Wishes,
> Sharon Haleva Amir, HCLT Fellow
> (PhD Candidate) Faculty of Law,
> University of Haifa, ISRAEL.