[Air-L] deception of paypal

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:42:50 PDT 2011

Dear Gene:

I'm sorry to hear of this.

Yes, Bill Me Later is a financing provider operated by PayPal. When anyone uses PayPal to complete an online transaction, an option is provided to use Bill Me Later rather than a credit card.

For example, here's a screen shot of the PayPal page that is shown to people purchasing an AoIR membership: http://michaelzimmer.org/images/PayPal_AOIR.png. I've added a red arrow to where the Bill Me Later option is.

If you click on the Bill Me Later link, you're taken here: https://www.billmelater.com/cm/paypal/landers/ppbmlcore5iwG.html, which describes the service.

There is no way for AoIR (or any merchant, as far as I can tell) to prevent this option from appearing within the PayPal payment processing screens. It is something PayPal does automatically, and without our asking or endorsement.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of how PayPal is handling these payments. We're currently in the process of considering new membership management systems, and include your experience in part of our deliberations.

Best,
Michael Zimmer
Treasurer, AoIR

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org