[Air-L] by-lines for online data

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 00:11:13 PDT 2011

(I'm coming in late to this conversation - I've just returned from a
holiday with no internet!)

We had this situation in terms of anonymising groups who participated
in my PhD project. While most online groups preferred to remain
anonymous, one wanted to be publicly named and associated with the
research. We were not fully prepared for this situation in terms of
our ethics procedures, so we acknowledged the group's participation
generally rather than specifically associating their identity with
their data (not completely ideal - we are looking to further research
using a partnership model).

We discuss the ethical issues of this situation in our IJIRE paper:
http://ijire.net/issue_3.1/6_barratt_lenton.pdf

I agree with Jean that people should have the choice, however it
became trickier due to the subject matter (illicit drug use) and
potential legal/criminal/social risks of identification, which I think
was also Rutter and Smith's rationale for not providing the option of
attribution to their research participants.

Cheers
Monica

Monica Barratt
http://monicabarratt.net