[Air-L] Need New Methods Text

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Thu Jul 21 04:58:00 PDT 2011

I would actually like to see what people suggest here as I imagine others would as well, so please keep this on list!

AH

Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
Associate Professor and Chairperson
Department of Communication Studies
Graduate Program in Cultural Analysis and Social Theory
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
CANADA
519 884-1970 x3693

>>> Ted Coopman <ted.coopman at gmail.com> 07/20/11 6:44 PM >>>
All,

I am looking for a new (one) comprehensive text for an Internet
Research Methods course, current title: Inquiry in Internet
Communication. Here is the catalog description.

"Examines the internet as both a site of and a tool of communication
research. Special attention to legal and ethical concerns associated
with internet communication research."

This is an upper division 4 unit research methods course. I am
currently using Hine's "Virtual Methods: Issues in Social Research on
the Internet" which is fine but the research is a bit dated (ah, the
hell of "everything is dated once it hits the page" for teaching
internet/new media anything) and while I use workshops on specific
research methods (interviewing, surveys, etc.) I am looking for
something more textbook-like with a structured approach. It needs to
include both qualitative and quantitative approaches.

I get them out collecting and coding data for two projects per semester.

Online resources, a convergence approach that includes other media,
and a "tool box" theoretical/epistemological approach are a bonus.

Lately I have noticed a few coming out, but wanted to tap the
collective expertise of the list for some solid recommendations.

Feel free to contact me off list, I will (as always) compile and post).

Thanks,

-TED

--
Ted M. Coopman Ph.D.