[Air-L] What went wrong with Multiply?

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Thu Jul 21 16:24:32 PDT 2011

Multiply was launched in the States but quickly became popular in the Philippines (and other South Asian / Pac Island countries) pretty quickly; it competed with Friendster pretty heavily for a while and then it got bought by some other company and became stale (keep in mind: all social network sites that had to go through a sales transition lost serious ground in the process).  They tried to differentiate themselves from competitors by basically throwing in every social feature known to man.  This overload worked for some, but also made it unappealing for others.  Classic story of SNS competition at the time.

And Jeremy's right - it was always about consumerism and the features that it had were nothing new (just like G+'s features are nothing new).

What folks never seem to remember in this space is that it's *NEVER* about the features.  It's about the cultural dynamics.

danah