[Air-L] Inclusion of short links in academic publications?

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Fri Jul 22 13:22:21 PDT 2011

Under the MLA style guide at least, URLs of Web publictions are no longer needed in Works Cited entries.

Marj

Associate Professor Marjorie Kibby, B.Ed, M.A, Ph.D, FHERDSA
Head of Discipline: Film, Media and Cultural Studies
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604
>>> Sharon Haleva Amir <sharon at trebcon.com> 23/07/11 12:42 AM >>>

Yana, the only advantage I can think of regarding the usage of shortened URL
is if you're writing an article and there is a words' limitation (as long as
the limitation refers to the bibliography/footnotes as well as the article
itself), as sometimes the URLs can be quite long.

I think that the need to shorten texts (for twitting etc.) was the basic
rational for establishing such services.