[Air-L] Antw: Re: Inclusion of short links in academic publications?

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 21:40:32 PDT 2011

I'm talking more about newspaper articles, eg.

I've archived the following newspaper article using webcitation:
Herald Sun. (2007, December 11). Anger at drug taking, arrests and
overdoses at rave. Reported by G. McArthur. Archived at
http://www.webcitation.org/5w2LaSZs7

So I'm never using shortened URLs to 'remove information' or on their
own. Rather I'm adding additional information and providing a stable
link to the archived source. However, if webcitation is not around in
10 years, people can still use traditional search techniques with news
databases to locate the article.

I wouldn't do this with references to websites where the web address
is the only information available about the source.

Any opinions on this sort of use?

Monica