[Air-L] Antw: Re: Inclusion of short links in academic publications?

Jodi Schneider jschneider at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 02:58:02 PDT 2011

Hi Monica & all,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Monica Barratt <tronica at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm talking more about newspaper articles, eg.
>
> I've archived the following newspaper article using webcitation:
> Herald Sun. (2007, December 11). Anger at drug taking, arrests and
> overdoses at rave. Reported by G. McArthur. Archived at
> http://www.webcitation.org/5w2LaSZs7

To call this a "shortened URL" is incorrect and misleading. Rather, it's a
third-party copy of a webpage, at a new URL.

Here's my suggestion:
McArthur, Grant. (2007, December 11). Anger at drug taking, arrests and
overdoses at rave: A 5000-STRONG rave party at Kryal Castle turned into a
war zone at the weekend when 14 people overdosed on drugs. *Herald
Sun* (Melbourne,
Australia): News section.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/kryal-castle-rave-a-war-zone/story-e6frf7kx-1111115080732
Archived
at
http://www.webcitation.org/5w2LaSZs7

This:
(1) Adds the subtitle* for more context and easier searching. There is often
a mismatch between headlines in online and print editions, which can make
searching in Lexis-Nexis, ProQuest, etc. challenging.
*A 5000-STRONG rave party at Kryal Castle turned into a war zone at the
weekend when 14 people overdosed on drugs.
(2) Includes more details about the source: publisher location and section
number
(3) Use the author's full name (it certainly helps in web search engines)
[where do you get "reported" from, by the way?] and uses more typical
author/publisher distinction
(4) Includes the original URL.This helps find the original (e.g. if
webcitation goes away).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/kryal-castle-rave-a-war-zone/story-e6frf7kx-1111115080732

Personally, I have trained myself to parse and read URLs like this, and I
find they often give abundant contextual information. From this URL, I learn
several things:
(1) The newspaper is in Australia (there's no way I personally would guess
that from "Herald Sun", though I guess searching would imply that)
(2) The newspaper classifies this article as *news* relating to *Victoria*
(which has meaning to me in an .au)
(3) the story has something to do with a rave, kryal castle, and a war zone

This info is redundant is mostly included my version of the citation (which
is good: citations are a place where redundancy is useful for
crosschecking). Yet the URL does something else: it provides a way for the
reader to get to the original source, even if webcitation is gone. Even if
the original is gone, archives (such as archive.org) are based on the URL.
Of course, it is long to type -- but the persistent reader will do that if
needed. And you can help such a reader by providing an online version of
your bibliography. :)

> So I'm never using shortened URLs to 'remove information' or on their
> own. Rather I'm adding additional information and providing a stable
> link to the archived source. However, if webcitation is not around in
> 10 years, people can still use traditional search techniques with news
> databases to locate the article.
>
> I wouldn't do this with references to websites where the web address
> is the only information available about the source.
>
> Any opinions on this sort of use?

Your intentions are good, your implementation is reasonable, and this is
*very* different from "URL shortening". But include the original URL, too:
it still benefits the reader.

-Jodi