[Air-L] question: published on the internet

natalya godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:56:19 PDT 2011

Would you consider this air-l conversation "published"?
I once contacted someone I didn't know via email, and she said she knew I
was "legit" because she found a conversation in air-l by googling my name.
she found this:
http://listserv.aoir.org/pipermail/air-l-aoir.org/2010-February/020645.html

I didn't know our listserve was publicly archived at the time but I figured,
at least she was happy with what she saw.
I can't find this email below from Andrew via google however, has the
archiving changed or is it just my flawed googling skills?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Andrew Schrock <aschrock at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011, at 3:00 PM, air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org wrote:
>
> > when is something published on the internet?
>
> I think a distinction needs to be made between "published" (let's just call
> this the releasing of information via a publication of one sort or other)
> and merely being publicly accessible (which can happen more informally in
> many ways). To my mind, the difference lies in the expectations of authors
> and the publisher (where applicable). A few cases might help illustrate.
>
> danah boyd's public drafts are clearly not formally published, but made
> accessible to encourage commentary and collaboration. I would consider most
> blogs to fit with this kind of aesthetic. Accessible, not necessarily
> spit-polished-final-state, and not published in the more formal sense. Blog
> posts might be the beginning of a paper that sees more formal publishing, or
> it might just be its final state.
>
> Conference papers are a good example of a gray area. Papers presented at
> the International Communication Association (ICA) are password-protected but
> still available online. It's neither made "generally known" nor disseminated
> "to the public" and not all conference presenters want their papers publicly
> available. Whether this is "published" depends on the context and
> discipline. Although most publishers would still consider it unpublished,
> this isn't a universal.
>
> Also see: the flap about getting book contracts from dissertations & the
> recent piece in Chronicle of higher ed.
>
> > does publishing something on the internet make it public?
>
> Not necessarily, IMHO. Most journal articles are published but not
> accessible to those without an academic hookup. When I read "public" I think
> of a work being easily findable and accessible. Most journals - even those
> with an online presence - are unfortunately not public access. First Monday
> - yes. Communication Research - no. It's ironic to me that most scholars,
> once their work has been published online, put versions up on their personal
> websites (or academia.edu, etc.) so that it can be more widely found and
> read. Even as peer-reviewed journal publications are the coin of the realm.
>
> > does making something public necessarily make it not private?
> >
> > can private information be published and thus be made public?
>

> There many, many gradients between private and public, which I think was
> what Michael was getting at. What is the context? The concept of privacy
> entails a comparison - private from whom and why - so I am pessimistic about
> generalizations being possible. My driver's license in my wallet might be
> visible every time I open it, but I would rather not have it posted on a
> website. I might have a conversation with a friend about a project I'm
> working on, and its central ideas are audible to anyone within earshot, but
> I might not be too keen about having myself recorded and posted online.

> Andrew Schrock
> [...]

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.