[Air-L] Egypt: The First Internet Revolt?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 1 13:19:27 PDT 2011

FOlks,

Xiaolin Zhuo, me, Justine Yu have just published the abovenamed article in
the July 2011 Peace Magazine.

http://www.peacemagazine.org/archive/v27n3p06.htm

It discusses the many ways in which ICTs did -- and did not -- facilitate
the Jan-Feb 2011 Egyptian revolt. It argues that Facebook etc provided a
sense of modernity, and shows some of the external connections that the
activists had years before the revolt. It also does a Tilly-esque
discussion of internal networks -- this was NOT a spontaneous gathering of
1M Egyptians in Tahrir Square.

And we carefully call it a Revolt, and not a Revolution (too premature to
say that) or the newspaper-hype "Arab Spring" (premature in
circumstances and calendar in January-Feb 2011??)

The colour pix in the magazine are great (thank you Zeynep Tufekci and
Karim Marold). Alas, Peace Magazine's own website doesn't show them --
text only.

But if you ask nicely, we'll send you a full pdf, complete with pix.
Email first author Jo-Lynn Zhuo <zhuo.jolin at gmail.com>,
(It's her and Justine's first publication, btw.)

PS: This 4.5 pager developed out of a discussion in the forthcoming
Rainie-Wellman Networked book (Jan 2012)

  Barry Wellman