[Air-L] [CITASA] NSF funding for social science in jeopardy

Jennifer S. Earl jearl at soc.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 11 17:57:08 PDT 2011

Regarding the note that was forwarded from Laurel on NSF: I have been
working on this and wanted to send around some more targeted info. There
are several Republicans on the committee that have universities in their
districts. Contacts from their constituents matter much more than contacts
from elsewhere. I am guessing us CITASA and AoIR folks can figure out if
there are even more universities represented by these folks (please send
that info to me and/or to the list if you find other university
connections).

So, if you are at a college or university in one of these districts, or
live in one of these districts, please contact your rep to encourage them
to drop consideration of the defunding of SBE at NSF.

Maybe you have a relative in one of these districts (my mom lives in one of
these districts and she is now calling and urging her friends to call her
rep). If you do know someone in these districts, maybe you could reach out
to them and see if they would contact their rep.

Alternatively, if you have colleagues at one of these schools, please
forward this to them and ask them to call and/or write their rep:

* Frank R. Wolf, Virginia, Chairman: McLean, Virginia (which has NSF almost
in his district!) which has Goerge Mason in or near his district

* John Abney Culberson, Texas: Rice and St. Thomas are in his district, as
well as parts of University of Houston and other medical schools in
downtown and the medical center (Texas District 7)

* Robert B. Aderholt, Alabama: only has a community college that I could
find, but is near Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. His district includes the
cities of Cullman, Decatur, Gadsden, and Jasper (Alabama District 4)

* Jo Bonner, Alabama: Remington College. This district includes the
following counties: Baldwin, Clark, Escambia, Mobile, Monroe, and
Washington (Alabama District 1)

* Steve Austria, Ohio: Ohio University at Lancaster, Wilberforce
University, Central State University if Xenia, Wittenberg University in
Springfield, and perhaps Wright State University; his district is
central/south Ohio (Ohio District 7)

* Tom Graves, Georgia (Georgia District 9): I am not sure which colleges,
since I can't find a search map. However, his district includes the
following counties: Catoosa, Dade, Dawson, Fannin, Forsyth, Gilmer, Gordon,
Hall, Lumpkin, Murray, Pickens, Union, Walker, White, and Whitfield County

* Kevin Yoder, Kansas: University of Kansas is in his district, which
includes Lawrence (Kansas District 3)

You can get to the full members list at:
<http://www.appropriations.house.gov/About/Members/CommerceJusticeScience.htm>

If you want to give them a conservative voice against defunding NSF, David
Brooks wrote a great op-ed this weekend on why social science research and
funding is critical to our nation:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/opinion/08brooks.html>

Here is the original message fowarded to the list from Laurel in case you
aren't update to date on this proposal to defund the social sciences at NSF.

Jennifer Earl
Professor of Sociology
SS&MS 3129
University of California, Santa Barbara