[Air-L] voice recognition software for interview transcription?

Andreas Schmidt - TBM A.Schmidt at tudelft.nl
Fri Jun 24 14:43:31 PDT 2011

another transcription support programme, works quite nice, it's free, available for mac and pc. in addition,  the website provides excellent (!!!) information on audio recorders, transcription, software.

"f5 is a program which supports the transcription progress, the progress of manually writing down interview situations from video or audio files. Your work is alleviated by f5, because it slows down the playback speed without changing the pitch. You can control the playback with a footswitch or shortcuts. Whenever you pause the playback, f5 automatically rewinds it. An innovative function of f5 is that it synchronises your text with your current media file by adding a cue point to every paragraph. This allows you to directly jump to the passage you want to replay."

http://www.audiotranskription.de/english/f5

in case you're dealing with insensitive topics and are mentally prepared, you might want to contemplate making use of the well-educated, deprived global workforce queuing up for a nickel at odesk and the likes.

--andreas

As a fellow doctoral student, I can relate to the limited budget! I've had good results using VoiceWalker, a free software (see http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/projects/transcription/tools.html). Without affecting your original recording, it will loop an audio file (i.e., playing 12 seconds three times), so you don't have to pause, rewind, etc. I've found it very helpful, for what it's worth.

-Shannon