[Air-L] Antw: mailing list analysis

Johann Hoechtl Johann.Hoechtl at donau-uni.ac.at
Thu Jun 2 02:07:10 PDT 2011

I have no clue for you, but you will struggle with encodings (UTF8 vs.
latin-???ß vs. others), with plain text mail vs. HTML mail and probably
with attachment encoding (MIME and content formats).

The first step would be to normalize the input to, probably, plain
text.

Besides these technical aspects, in regard to links, you might consider
longifying short links (bit.ly, tons of others:
http://longurl.org/services) and different names for the same domain:
youtu.be vs. youtube.com.

It's not my intention to discourage you, but doing it right is far from
trivial.

Johann

Mag. Johann Höchtl
Zentrum für E-Government
Donau-Universität Krems
Dr.-Karl-Dorrek-Straße 30
A-3500 Krems
Tel.: ++43 2732 893 2304
Mail: Johann.hoechtl at donau-uni.ac.at

>>> "Cernison, Matteo" <Matteo.Cernison at EUI.eu> schrieb am 02.06.2011
um 10:50 in
Nachricht

[air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org] On
> Behalf Of Cernison, Matteo [Matteo.Cernison at EUI.eu]
> Sent: 02 June 2011 09:45
> To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
> Subject: [Air-L] Facebook communication flows
>
> Dear Colleagues,
> my name is Matteo Cernison, and I am exploring in my PhD research the

> relationship between the web and the actor involved in the Italian
campaign
> against the privatization of water.
>
> In particular, now I am observing how the hundreds of local
committees of
> this campaign communicate on Facebook, simply reading and noting what
happens
> in their posts and events.
> Nevertheless, i think that the analysis could become easier with the
help of
> some tools or applications.
>
> So, could you suggest me some application / tools / literature to
observe
> the communication of disperse phenomena on Facebook?
>
> In particular, do you know if exists:
> a) a tool to summarize basic information about a group (number of
daily
> posts, number of likes and comments, and similar)?
> b) a tool to detect where and how a certain symbol or link spreads on

> Facebook?
> c) a tool that indicates what is becoming trendy or "viral" on
Facebook?

> Or, better, a web page dedicated to research software for facebook
analysis
> in social science?
>
> Thank you very much for your help,
> Matteo
> ----------------------------------
> Matteo Cernison
> PhD Candidate
> Department of Social and Political Sciences
> European University Institute
> Via della Badia dei Roccettini 9
> 50014 Fiesole (FI)
> email: matteo.cernison at eui.eu
> skype: cinusskype
Summer
> School
>
> The Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT) is delighted to
announce
> "Virtual Immersive and Cyber Technologies — First Summer School on
using the
> Internet for Behavioural Research". The Summer School has been funded
under
> the IRCHSS 2010 Research Development Initiative Strand 3 — Summer
School and
> will be held from June 13-17 in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland.
>

> The theme of the summer school is broad. There will be an array of
> introductory talks and seminars on recent research into cybercrime,
gaming,
> online consumer behaviour, learning online, e-governance, virtual
reality and
> the social aspects of online behaviour. There will be lectures
discussing the
> dark side of online behaviour with topics on Internet addiction,
Online Child
> Pornography and Cyberbullying. The summer school will focus on the
challenges
> and creative potential of using digital technologies for research
into
> applied topics such as the psychology of social networking and the
psychology
> of virtual reality.
>

> Practical workshops will be offered in the afternoons to demonstrate
how the
> internet and immersive technologies such as the v- lab can be used
for
> research purposes. Seminars, case studies and discussions on issues
such as
> ethical considerations of using digital technologies for research
will be
> highlighted.
>

> The summer school is open to all staff and students within the higher

> education sector but places are strictly limited. There are also some
places
> reserved for representatives from industry.
>

> Further information and registration for the event is available at
> www.cyberpsychology.ie<http://www.cyberpsychology.ie> Queries can be
directed
> to grainne.kirwan at iadt.ie<mailto:grainne.kirwan at iadt.ie>
>

> Dr. Gráinne Kirwan
> Lecturer in Cyberpsychology
> School of Creative Technologies
> Institute of Art, Design and Technology,
> Kill Avenue
> Dun Laoghaire
> Co. Dublin
> Rep. of Ireland
>
> Phone: 01 - 2394936
> International: + 353 1 2394936
>
> Facebook: MSc Cyberpsychology
> Twitter: MScCyberpsych
> Linked in: Cyberpsychology Ireland

> IADT Disclaimer. This e-mail and any other items transmitted with it
are
> confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom they
> are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
use,
> disclose, distribute, copy, print or relay on this e-mail.
> If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
please
> notify the author by return email or inform Dun Laoghaire Institute
of Art |
> Design | Technology's (IADT) Information Communication Technology
Office on